This program specifically prepares teachers for the diversity of languages and cultures often encountered in California Public Schools. The program prepares candidates to address the needs of students who speak English as a native language and/or as a second language in the secondary school setting. An underlying principle of the program is that all students (regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, ability or economic status) are capable learners and educators can make a difference in their lives.
Upon completion of the program, candidates will be eligible for the Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
We currently offer Single Subject Credentials in the following subject areas:
- Foundation Level Mathematics
- Science (Biology, Chemistry, Geosciences, or Physics)
- Foundation Level General Science
- Social Science/History
- Admission applications are accepted for Fall and Spring
- Full and part-time option available
The following prerequisite courses must be successfully completed, with a grade of "C" or better, or in progress at the time that you apply to the Single Subject Credential Program.
- EDSS 515 Adolescent Development for Secondary Educators (3)
- ENGL 475 Language in Social Context (3)
- SPED 345 Individuals with Disabilities in Society (3)
- EDUC 512 Equity, Diversity and Foundations of Schooling (3)
- EDUC 524 Creating and Managing Effective Learning Environments (5)
Bilingual Authorization Prerequisite Courses
- HIST 361 Modern Latin American History (3)
- EDML 617 The Socio-cultural Context of Schooling (3)
- AND EITHER:
- CHS 350 Chicana/o History and Culture (HIST) (3) OR
- EDUC 445 Chicano Child and Adolescent (4)
In addition to the prerequisites listed above, students who wish to complete the Bilingual Authorization Emphasis in Spanish must pass the language assessment exam (CSET: Spanish III) prior to applying for the Credential Program. For test dates and other test information, please visit the CTC Exams website.